Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"5 Broken Cameras"

Today, at 6:00pm marks the beginning to my 16-day long Passover break, so I want to get a post in before I go off all over Israel. 

To begin, you may be wondering what in the world the title of this post means. Well, if you want to know, you should click here. The video is an hour and a half long and it is extremely informative and eye-opening. 

We (friends and I) watched this documentary a few days ago and it has been coming up in our conversations ever since. We discuss everything from Israeli defense policies to Palestinian responses. No documentary can escape bias, as they all set out to present a point-of-view, but this documentary did a pretty adequate job to show how it is a very complex issue. There are clearly some Israeli soldiers who do not wish to take part in this, and there are some Palestinians who are not fully pacifist. 

Of course, this is but one story among many. It doesn't matter on what side of the issue you stand on, but my friend's professor put it nicely when they said, "You know you have problem when your child's first words are 'wall,' 'death,' and 'cartridge.'" The news stories at home do not begin to fully cover the complexities of the situation. During a tour our guide made a comment along the line of, "It doesn't matter what the policy in place says, because things are happening on the ground anyways and no one is doing anything about it." 

This is only a minute shred of issues thats surround the conflict. Being here, I am around students that fall everywhere in the spectrum of the issue; from one state solution to three state solution. So, (I want to say "enjoy," but that would not be a proper descriptor) the film. I hope you are challenged some, just like we were. 

1 comment:

  1. I only watched the first 11 minutes. I ran out of time. It seems to be so far away from me here that it is hard to believe it is like that.

    ReplyDelete